Jaipuria Institute of Management, Lucknow under the aegis of International Relations Committee (IRC) of the Institute, organized an International Immersion Programme to UAE from 21st – 27th Feb, 2020 for the students of Lucknow and its sister campuses. The programme was designed with an aim to help students develop cross cultural empathy and understanding of global scenarios through interaction with experts from industry, academia and the institute’s rich Alumni base in UAE. The programme also proved helpful in enhancing students’ observation, presentation and team-building skills. A total of 25 students from Lucknow and Jaipur participated in the programme. The campus-wise participation figures were - 22 students from Lucknow and 2 from Jaipur. The students were accompanied by three faculty members from Lucknow campus- Prof. Swati G. Shukla, IRC Chairperson – Student and Faculty Exchange, Prof. Ankit Mehrotra, Member, IRC and Prof. Manisha Seth, Chairperson-Alumni Relations Committee and Member, IRC.
The programme was designed to combine learning and leisure in equal measure. The major highlights of the programme included:
1. Dubai City Tour
2. An interactive session with the institute’s rich Alumni base in UAE.
3. Dinner on Dhow cruise with spectacular views of the city skyline and traditional Tambora dance performance.
4. Visit to Dubai Financial Market to gain insights into trading and doing business in UAE.
5. An adrenaline-pumping adventure to the desert. Students enjoyed dune bashing and many of them took a camel ride. This was followed by barbeque dinner while enjoying a traditional cultural evening.
6. Fountain show at Dubai Mall, the world’s second largest mall and laser show at Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world.
7. Tour of the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, one of the world’s most impressive modern Islamic architectural masterpieces that provided students insights into Islamic culture and traditions, shopping at Dates market and adventure at Ferrari World which is home to world’s fastest roller coaster in Abu Dhabi.
8. Industrial Visit to DUCAB (Dubai Cables), the major cables supplier for Lucknow Metro Rail Corporation (LMRC). The visit comprised of the industrial tour, interaction with DUCAB Senior Executives and group presentation by the student team that was highly appreciated. The visit helped students learn the similarities and differences of conducting business in the Middle East and India.
9. Session on Sociocultural and Geopolitical Environment in UAE by Dr. Satish Kumar Sagadevan followed by group presentation by the student team. Participation Certificate provided by the University to all students.
10. Visit to IKEA, the world’s largest furniture retailer.
11. Visit to Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world to get an uninterrupted panoramic view of the city’s skyline and shopping at Meena Bazaar, Dubai before departing to the airport with memories of a lifetime.
For collaborative learning, students were divided into three teams of six members each and one team of seven members. The student teams were assigned group projects based on the academic and industrial visits in the immersion program. The project titles of the four student teams are as follows:
· DUCAB: A Study on Participative Growth
· Study of Dubai Financial Market
· IKEA: A Study of their Retail Venture
· Socio-cultural and Geo-political Environment: India vs UAE
The student teams were asked to be prepare PowerPoint presentations on the assigned project topics by gathering relevant information on their own while in India so that as informed audience they can leverage maximum benefit from their industrial and academic visits in Dubai. In Dubai, while some student teams got lucky enough to get a chance to deliver their presentation in front of the academic and industry experts, at other places, the student teams impressed the hosts by posing intelligent questions during the interactive sessions. For successful completion of the program, the students were to submit both the soft copy of their presentations as well as the final report to Prof. Swati G. Shukla, Chairperson-Student and Faculty Exchange, International Relations Committee, Lucknow. Finally, it was decided that the certificate from Manipal University would be given to only those students who fulfil all the requirements of the International Immersion Program-UAE 2020.